Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reflective Searching

I see myself as an avid searcher. I'd estimate I Google around 30 things a day, minimum. Recipes, addresses to places, and random questions to settle disagreements with my husband :) For example, a portion of my search history shows that I Googled the following today:

  1. "Closest Barnes & Noble to [my school's address]"
  2. "Quinoa, kale, & white bean soup"
  3. "How old is Betty White?"
By the way, I want everyone to know that I was closer to guessing Betty White's age than he was! :)

I enjoy having access to limitless knowledge at my fingertips. I can't remember what I did before the internet and smartphones! Even though the articles defines the "Google generation" as people born after 1993, I definitely believe we are all part of the "Google generation"! I don't know of anyone who hasn't integrated the internet into their everyday lives. While I think some people are certainly addicted, I think for the most part that the internet can make everyone's lives easier and more productive!

Based on the Information Behavior of the Researcher of the Future article, I'd say that I am a "horizontal information seeker". I tend to "bounce" around from site to site, and I rarely stay on one site very long, unless it's for class. I also have a tendency to search for things using my natural language, instead of keywords, like the article says their subjects did. Sometimes I'll search for something, then quickly realize that my stream of though makes little to no sense, and I'll have to pause to think of how to word it for a better search.

I've been interested in the "filter bubble", though I didn't know the concept had an actual name. It's always seemed to me that once some people are set in their views, they surround themselves with information that only supports those views. I think a good way to avoid a personal "filter bubble" would be to simply search for the opposite of what I've already taken as my opinion. For example, I recently watched the controversial documentary Blackfish. I definitely felt strongly about the allegations made against SeaWorld. Later, I randomly came across an article a friend posted on Facebook that was in support of SeaWorld, even after the information in the documentary came to light. It was interesting to read the opposing view, and it made me think more deeply about the movie. Was it entirely truthful? Were some truths stretched? While it ultimately did not fully change my opinion, it changed how extremely passionate I was about my opinion.





8 comments:

  1. Morgan, I really like many of the things that you mentioned in your post. I am the exact same way when it comes to using search engines. There are times when I find myself searching for silly things just because I know I will find things. I do not know where I would be without these search engines. I am also an information seeker. When I am using the web I have several tabs open just so I can search different things at the same time. It is hard to change what you think because once my mind is set on something I feel like it is final.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also a horizontal information searcher. I tend to look for a quick answer to my question and move on more often than I stop and focus on a particular search result. I look for a lot of information online and probably have a similar number of Google searches a day for various reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like you I use google multiple times a day. I don't even really go to google itself, but just type it in the URL bar because my web browser is Google chrome. I even use google to help me spell words that I am unfamiliar with! I liked how you stated that even though we were born after the "google generation" that we've become a part of it. I think anyone has that potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly enough, my use of google is probably about as bad as yours. I am constantly searching for random things like, "When does the tv show Sherlock premier" or "What time does Taco Bell close." I believe our dependence on Technology can have negative effects especially psychologically; for example, I keep my iPhone in my left pocket. Every few minutes I feel my left pocket to make sure my phone is there, if I don't find it I have a mini panic attack until I realize my pants I'm wearing have a deeper pocket than my normal ones. Full panic attack avoided.

    I don't consider myself a part of the google generation because I can remember when I didn't have the internet. I can remember having to use the library to find books because the library computers only had digital card catalogues. While I defintely use google more, and potentially better than most "google generation" users, I will keep my generation X status and keep complaining about those whipper snappers and their music.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading your post. I, too, am an avid Google searcher! Like you, I search for any and everything. It's just convenient. I found the filter bubble information to be very interesting. When I have noticed is when I am on the Internet, ads from stores where I online shop are all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree I spend a good part of my day looking up information. I find it strange to think to the time when we did not have all this information right at our finger tips. It would be really hard to go back to a time when it did not exist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quinoa, kale, and white bean soup? Sounds like you are a healthy eater. I am just glad to know that I am not the only person who uses Google for my recipies! I must admit that I use Google all day long both at work and at home. As for the search types, I really think most people have experienced being all the types of searchers at one point in time. "Filter bubble" it is good to know you have an open mind. Blackfish put a bad taste in my mouth for Seaworld. I need to Google Seaworld support! RR

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's funny to think about how much Google is a part of our everyday lives. I, too, love to find recipes, look up random questions, etc. using Google. When my students ask me a question about something that I don't know the answer to, I simply reply to them saying, "Let's Google it". I love being able to go to the internet and type in a few words to get information that I need!

    ReplyDelete